Dear Guests!

Guest Melissa Francis

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Antonia Pearce

LOL Diana! I saw you over here and just sort of thought, "Oh, there's Diana. Wonder what she had to say?" I'm so used to seeing you everywhere else, it didn't dawn on me that you were new over here for a sec! LOL

Welcome to RWAO! I'm so excited you'll be with us! :happydance:

Guest Diana Castilleja
LOL Diana! I saw you over here and just sort of thought, "Oh, there's Diana. Wonder what she had to say?" I'm so used to seeing you everywhere else, it didn't dawn on me that you were new over here for a sec! LOL

Welcome to RWAO! I'm so excited you'll be with us! :happydance:

LOL Antnonia!!!!! I know! I feel like the welcoming committee most places :Emotewelcome: , which don't let it fool ya, I enjoy it! I just want to come and play... :happydance:

I'm really looking forward to being here, and learning more, and hopefully sharing from own pitifully slim file of knowledge. :book:

Anyway, I'll be floating and lurking. I have NO life.. :D

Diana Castilleja

• 4 months later...
Guest Leslie Hunter

Hey Everyone,

Well, I did it. I took the plunge and joined....both RWA and now this Chapter. I move around a lot so I would hate to get to know some people here in Nevada and then have to move on. Besides, I like the idea of 24/7...maybe it's Las Vegas rubbing off on me.

Anyway, I've noticed that every published author I've talked to and every book on writing that I've come across mentions to get involved with the professional associations out there; the RWA being one of the most popular. So here I am and it feels fabulous (a "Sex in the City" word I don't generally use). I'm in the process of writing my first novel, a time travel, and also outlining a paranormal that has overtaken me as of late.

I can't wait to get started with exploring the site. I submitted my chapter dues yesterday and am entirely too impatient. How long does it take to get the email saying....YOUR IN!? It's almost like waiting to open Christmas presents....Arrrr..(Ok that sounded more like an anxious pirate....)

Hope to see you all in the Member section soon....

Leslie (w/a Teyah Stone)

:coffeepc:

Hey Everyone,

Well, I did it. I took the plunge and joined....both RWA and now this Chapter. I move around a lot so I would hate to get to know some people here in Nevada and then have to move on. Besides, I like the idea of 24/7...maybe it's Las Vegas rubbing off on me.

Anyway, I've noticed that every published author I've talked to and every book on writing that I've come across mentions to get involved with the professional associations out there; the RWA being one of the most popular. So here I am and it feels fabulous (a "Sex in the City" word I don't generally use). I'm in the process of writing my first novel, a time travel, and also outlining a paranormal that has overtaken me as of late.

I can't wait to get started with exploring the site. I submitted my chapter dues yesterday and am entirely too impatient. How long does it take to get the email saying....YOUR IN!? It's almost like waiting to open Christmas presents....Arrrr..(Ok that sounded more like an anxious pirate....)

Hope to see you all in the Member section soon....

Leslie (w/a Teyah Stone)

:coffeepc:

Welcome, Leslie!! Look forward to *seeing* your smiling face! :Emotewelcome:

--Chiron

Welcome to all the newcomers! :Emotewelcome: It's fun to see so many people here. A lot of us have trouble getting to a regular chapter's meetings, so this is a great way to connect with other romance writers.

And Cathy, congratulations on so much excellent news!!! :D Very impressive!!!

gail

• 1 year later...
Guest Hope Harris

Hi. :wave:

I'm in Britain and would love to do some workshops. I can't afford to join The RWA so I can't join this chapter <sniff> but at least the workshops are open to non-members which I think is great. The thing is, I don't exactly write romantic fiction, although romance (and sex:-) are a big part of the story. I write in the horror/fantasy/supernatural/futuristic/whatever else seems right genres.... (also humorous science fiction) Although I've been taking other workshops with Writersonline and Writers University (and used to with Earthly Charms which I really miss), and the more I do, the more my natural tendency to smut is being nurtured. So I reckon erotica is being added to the genre list, although I'm not sure I could write just erotica, although maybe short stories... Sorry, I'm rambling.

I'd like to know more about the workshops (especially taking the pain out of POV, ) but on the page but there's no link to any more info.

Thanks in advance... BTW the last post was 2007 so is this still active.... uh, yeah, a bit late to ask now

I absolutely love the emoticons :computer: especially that one, if you have Vista you'll appreciate just how appropriate it is....

Hi Hope -

Yes, this thread is still active! So glad you dropped by to ask questions. You have a good point about not being able to find further information regarding our workshops - thanks for bringing that to my attention so we can fix it!

I went to check our paperwork and right now I don't have a class description to give you for the POV class. I'm sure we'll scare one up soon, so check back often? Wish I had a better answer for you, but I'll see what I can do to track it down for you.

Cheers,

Pam

Hi Hope,

I'm one of the instructors for the POV class. The class will run for two weeks in October. During that time, my critique partner, Angie Fox, and I will post lectures on various aspects of POV. We will be discussing the differences between writing first person and third person, how to decide what POV will work best for your characters and your story, POV pitfalls, using POV to deepen the narrative and descriptive passages of the story, finding a character's internal voice (and consequently your own), and more. We'll cover basic techniques, and some advanced techniques, so writers of all stages should be able to find something interesting.

During the two weeks, we'll have short homework assignments posted in the forum, and one secret homework assignment that will span the entire two weeks. For that assignment, we'll prompt you to keep adding to a simple sentence until by the end of the week, everyone has a short scene. At the end of the two weeks, we'll take a look at everyone's scene and see how different the scenes turned out due to everyone's use of POV. Either Angie or I will give feedback on all homework assignments. It should be a really fun workshop, and we'll be glad to have you.

Jess

I have been a member for months and didn't know we had a DEAR GUESTS section. :doh1: There is soooo much to do and see and people to talk to here. For ANY one thinking of joining a RWA chapter this one is great. :blissysmile: If you are not use to this type of board set-up it can be a bit overwhelming at first but we are working on making it more user friendly and everyone is helpful if you have a problem or question. :grouphug:

Besides the wonderful workshops this chapter offers, they have an extensive library of past workshops/topics available to members to browse through. :book: That information alone has been a godsend to me. Everyone has been friendly and helpful and patient with me and I would recommend this chapter to anyone.

They have a live chat that is always open and if not active 24/7 someone usually always shows up at least once a day there.

They have a critique mistress who will attempt to pair you with a partner is you request and just so much more.

Questions are alway welcome from anyone, including those just visiting/guest so please feel free to ask anytime.

Looking forward to meeting you

Darlene

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hope Harris

Thanks Jess and Darlene.

I can't afford to join RWA but it's great to have public section like this for this chapter. I hope to do the POV class. I need it, lol. I keep aiming for omniscient for a sci fi humorous novel but keep slipping into third and wondering if I could do both. Well, not at the same time... :) It'll also help with a sexy, futuristic, psychological thriller. Not sure whether to be all in the heroine's head, or in the hero's as well.... choices, choices.

Hope to see you in October.... :)

Hope

• 1 month later...
Guest laurel kahaner

Hi

Taking Linnea's class and being with you all has been brilliant.

I'd love to know about other classes that are available to those of us who wish to

join, and for now, are thrilled to visit, and enjoy the learning.

"I write to save lives, perhaps mine."

A laurel line and a wry grin,

as I dream of deeper mayhem for my characters,

and a wee bit less, in other arias (conscious word choice)

in me lives...

journey well

write well

Laurel

:cake::chat:<bow>:sword2::sword1:

Guest laurel kahaner
Hi Hope,

I'm one of the instructors for the POV class. The class will run for two weeks in October. During that time, my critique partner, Angie Fox, and I will post lectures on various aspects of POV. We will be discussing the differences between writing first person and third person, how to decide what POV will work best for your characters and your story, POV pitfalls, using POV to deepen the narrative and descriptive passages of the story, finding a character's internal voice (and consequently your own), and more. We'll cover basic techniques, and some advanced techniques, so writers of all stages should be able to find something interesting.

During the two weeks, we'll have short homework assignments posted in the forum, and one secret homework assignment that will span the entire two weeks. For that assignment, we'll prompt you to keep adding to a simple sentence until by the end of the week, everyone has a short scene. At the end of the two weeks, we'll take a look at everyone's scene and see how different the scenes turned out due to everyone's use of POV. Either Angie or I will give feedback on all homework assignments. It should be a really fun workshop, and we'll be glad to have you.

Jess

Guest laurel kahaner

Hi Jess

I definitely hope to be able to take your class. My pov shape- shifts dangerously, and sometimes danglingly-rearranges itself without my noticing. (not quite a wry grin). Do you e-mail as the time draws closer?

Slainte

Laurel

Jess

Anyone who joins this chapter (you also have to be a RWA National member or apply for it) then the dues are $12.50 between now and 12/31/09. You would be good here through 3/31/09, as our renewals are in March.

And there are two workshops still left for the year which are free to members. Not sure what workshops are in store for 2010, as our lovely Workshop head hasn't completely divulged the list, except she mentioned Bob Mayer.

• 1 year later...
Guest Julie

Hello! It's been roughly ...1.5 years since the last post in this section, is anyone still around? :wave:

I went through this thread, and am really impressed, but I'm also wondering if things are still active in this chapter (or more accurately, in the other locked sections of this forum). My keen eyes spy that the recent topics have been RWA Conference related, but I'd be interested to know what else goes on in the boards--hints or teasers would be welcomed! One of the reasons this chapter seems really appealing is that I find myself not just geographically away from everyone , but I'm also a timezone that puts me too early/too late for lots of stuff. (I'm currently writing from this place called South East Asia. Do y'all have anyone remotely on this side of the world? I think I saw some Australians earlier in the thread. :wave: If I can be really, really nosy, can I ask how many members are currently active? I looked at the Member list, but I couldn't figure out a way for me to filter by group.)

But really, I'd love to hear an update on what's been going on in this rather awesome looking chapter. :angel:

Ah, yes, what goes on behind the curtain. :D

Well, right now we are discussing connecting with each other (and RWA Online) on facebook and twitter. One of our members posted her cover for her first book. Another reported on getting not one, but two requests. Then there is the usual "I have a question about --- (fill in the blanks)" whenever a member needs help with a plot point or discussing character names.

And this is just for March. :)

RWA Online has been a great resource for me. I love the camaraderie. I've made some lifelong friends here. It's a supportive group, and we're here 24/7. Unlike a land chapter where you meet once a month, here we chat all the time. There are peaks and valleys in terms of conversations, but someone is always chatting writing, sales, etc.

I've found RWA Online saves me from having to lose writing time if I belonged to a land chapter. You have the drive to and from a meeting, you have the interaction, which can be a hit or miss depending on the member and the land chapter. I started in eBooks, and some members from local land chapters left a sour taste in my mouth when I said I was only in eBooks. Naturally the lay of the land has changed drastically in that area, but not the sour taste. RWA Online has ALWAYS supported my publishing choices and accepted me an author when others wouldn't. That has made me a loyal and undying fan of this chapter.

You're unlikely to find a better chapter in RWA for support, information and general fun online. And you're not going to get a better value for your money either. We pay $15 (??? - Patti??) a year for membership. Other chapters charge $25 and up with once a month meetings. We're here 24/7.

Okay, enough from me, I'm sure others will pop in to give their take on things, but I have no desire to belong to any other chapter. I have everything I need right here. :)

What I like best is I know I can ask pretty much any writing related question and someone will have an answer to it. :book:

Lots of chatting goes on though as Monica said it comes and goes in waves depending on if anyone has good news, bad news, or questions.

You also get access to all the workshops which are offered and I really enjoyed the Chapters writing challenge.

Angelia

Besides all of the wonderful advice these ladies give, they're also a huge support system for me. I love knowing that however I'm feeling on the writing front, there's always several more people here feeling the exact same way :)

Julie, we have a very active on-line chapter but we have been neglectful of our guest section.

One of our members asked us to post info on what goes on in RWAOL, why someone would want to join.

The main reason is that it's easy to keep up with what a diverse group of authors have posted in our discussion forum.

• Our web mistress, The Pam, selected the software and it's easy to use once you learn how – and that doesn't take long.
  • I subscribe to receive new posts in my email – so I'm alerted to something I want to read and comment on.
  • When I go to the forum, I see a list of threads/topics and I can quickly identify the ones with posts/replies I haven't read.
  • And it's fun to use these emoticons -- this one is my favorite :cheer:

Now to the content of what we talk about.

We discuss a variety of topics – so if you have a question about software for writing, whether to contact an agent/editor who has had your ms for X amount of time, a problem with your current ms, :bang: etc etc -- this is the place to get answers. And, of course, we celebrate :strawberrymargarita: successes and give support when :console: needed.

In addition, we have free workshops (and like the discussion forum, those are easy to follow) and a monthly discussion topic.

We do quite a few things to support our published authors:

• Great interviews with new and emerging authors in our newsletter and we just started giving them authors a copy of their interview so they post it on their web site (this is a great way to get ideas and identify new authors to read :book:
  • An occasional advertisement in RWR :reading: (we still do that, don't we?)
  • I think activities for PAN but I'm not eligible so I can't address that but we are discussing whether to have activities for PROs.

And, best of all, is the authors you meet. I feel I've really gotten to know several and that really adds to reading their books.

In summary, membership is high value -- and that's including the dues for RWA which you have to pay in order to join chapters like ours.

Karen

Guest Julie

Thank you all so much for taking the time to come out of your secret lair to greet a guest! ^_^ This has all be really helpful and reassuring. You all sound like a wonderful group, and now I'm going to have to spend some hard time staring at my month's budget to see what I can do. (I haven't yet joined RWA, but I'm trying to finangle a way.) Wish me luck!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.