***** Permission to Forward ******

February 2012 Workshop

Register for Class

Vision Boards

Instructor: Misa Ramirez / Melissa Bourbo

When: February 1-14, 2012

Cost: $15 for HCRW and Carolina Romance Writers Members, $20 for All Others

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

There are lots of reasons to make dream boards, also called vision boards. They’re great for goal-setting, visualizing the abstract things you want, giving concrete visuals to the abstract, and they can take you deeper into yourself--if you let them.

While it’s an excellent exercise to make a vision board about your own life, it’s also great fun--and very informative--to make one about your hero and/or heroine. Sometime we write characters without knowing much about our characters. Sometimes we fill out character inventories to help us know as much as possible about them: hair color, eye color, height, weight, political affiliation, religion, pets, etc. This is all great, but I’ve never found the character inventory very helpful. That may just be me, but what I end up with are things that are very much on the surface and I still come away not knowing very my characters with any depth and not remembering those character elements because I haven’t made a connection with them. It’s the what makes them tick concepts that help me, but they evolve throughout the writing process and through vision boarding.

Our class on Vision Boards is interactive, can be done with magazines and glue, or it can be done virtually. I'll take you through exercises to get you thinking about interesting ways to represent your characters and/or world. It's best if you're willing to share and have creative time to devote to actually making vision boards!

INSTRUCTOR BIO

Misa Ramirez / Melissa Bourbon is the author of the Lola Cruz mystery series: Living the Vida Lola (January ’09) and Hasta la Vista, Lola! (2010) from Thomas Dunne Books / St. Martin’s Minotaur, Bare-Naked Lola (April 2012, Entangled Publishing), and A Dressmaker’s Mystery series for NAL (Pleating for Mercy, August 2011) and A Fitting End (February 2012). She is also the Marketing Director for Entangled Publishing.

A former middle and high school teacher, this blonde-haired, green-eyed, proud to be Latina-by-Marriage girl loves following Lola and Harlow on their many adventures. Whether it’s contemplating belly button piercings, visiting nudist resorts, or hanging out with seamstresses, she’s always up for the challenge. She is published in Woman’s World Magazine and Romance Writers Report, and GLOW Magazine (11/2010), is the co-author of The Tricked-Out Toolbox (January 2012), and has a children’s book published.

Register for Class