RWAOL Workshop: SCENE AND SEQUEL with Bonnie Edwards

***Permission to Forward***

RWA® Online Presents

SCENE AND SEQUEL with your instructor Bonnie Edwards

Date presented: April 23-May 4, 2012

Scene and Sequel

(Or the last thing I learned before I sold)

With deepest appreciation to the experts in this field: Dwight Swain and Jack Bickham.

Do you fly into the mist of a new story without a plot? A strong grasp of Scene and Sequel will make your second draft stronger and your revisions easier.

Does your story fizzle out by the end of Chapter whatever? Scene and Sequel can point the way ahead.

Or maybe you need a detailed outline before you type a word. Scene and Sequel can help your plot stay true, can help raise tension and up the stakes at the plotting stage. Applying scene and sequel to your work is one of the most versatile tools in your writer’s toolkit. This is storytelling in its basic form: it improves pacing, plot, how you reveal character and can tighten those dreaded sagging middles.

Join us for an online workshop at www.rwaonlinechapter.org starting April 23rd for two weeks to see how adding Scene and Sequel to your arsenal as a writer can help propel your work into an editor’s “yes!” pile.

Here is the course outline:

Outline for 6 Lessons

Lesson 1: Definition of Scene and how it is structured for clarity in prose. i.e. scene goal

Lesson 2: Definition of Sequel and its role in storytelling i.e. pacing, character development

Lesson 3: POV in Scene and Sequel – who is telling this part of your story? And WHY?

Lesson 4: Conflict in Scene and Variants in Sequel (includes an exercise for your own work)

Lesson 5: Discussion of Scene and Sequel from the exercise above i.e. applying the structure to YOUR story and how to step back to analyze your prose and strengthen your storytelling technique

Lesson 6: Review and final Q&A (review will come from the above discussion because I tailor classes to students’ needs and questions)

Please come prepared to join in and share!

Bonnie Edwards has worked at a variety of jobs but loves storytelling best. She lives on an island within view of the Coastal Mountains and the City of Vancouver. Bonnie enjoys teaching writing for genre fiction online.

She lives with her husband and a variety of pets and battles an addiction to ice cream on a daily basis. Hiking in the woods and down to the seashore keep her romance fiction ideas flowing from her heart to yours.

In 2006, her novella BodyWork was in the launch anthology The Hard Stuff for the Kensington Aphrodisia erotic romance line. With several more Aphrodisia releases, she’s also published with Harlequin Blaze, and Harlequin’s digital-first Carina Press. Bonnie’s next release is a short story in the upcoming electronic-only anthology: It Happens at Midnight. For more information, covers, excerpts and updates check out her website: www.bonnieedwards.com where you can follow her on Twitter and Facebook!

Registration Opens: April 9, 2012

Registration Deadline: April 23, 2012

Note: We may be able to accept late registrations up to April 30, 2012. Email us at workshops@rwaonlinechapter.org for questions. Workshops are archived for approximately two weeks after the course ends.

Workshop Fee: $15

RWA Online Chapter Members ONLY receive free workshops. No registration required for chapter members. Cost to join RWA Online is $25 and you must be a member of Romance Writers of America.

Payment method: PAYPAL is recommended! Checks and money orders also accepted, but register early and mail your payment promptly. No person will be allowed in unless payment is received.

Format: Courses are conducted via online discussion (bulletin) board on the RWA® Online website (no email loops). Non-chapter members MUST complete both the workshop registration AND the discussion board login registration for access.

For more information, check out us out at www.rwaonlinechapter.org or email workshops@rwaonlinechapter.org for questions.