RWA Online's Oct Workshop: An Introduction to Self-Publishing: Whe

An Introduction to Self-Publishing: Where the Heck Do I start? Presented by Kathryn Jane

Date Class Begins: Oct 3, 2016

Class length: Three weeks

Cost: $15

Registration Opens: Sept 19, 2016

(RWA® Online Chapter 136 members take the class for free)

Workshop Registration Page: http://www.rwaonlinechapter.org/campus.htm

Description:

You’ve written the book. You’ve decided to jump into the pond and self-publish. But you have no idea what to do next, how to send your baby off into the world alone. Relax. That’s what I’m here to share with you. Four weeks of lessons that will set you up to take the next steps.

Lessons will include: definitions of terms you’re going to hear; explanations of subjects such as branding and distribution; how to use social media, loops, signature lines and peripherals; what to expect from the industry professionals you decide to hire; covers and copyright pages explained; series vs serial vs stand alone; and much, much more.

Course Outline:

Welcome – Outline, What to Expect, introductions

Lesson 1 – Editing

Lesson 2 – Peripherals (Front and Back matter/data)

Lesson 3 – Covers

Lesson 4 – Product Identity in preparation for marketing

Lesson 5 – More prep before uploading

Lesson 6 – Formatting

Lesson 7 – Uploading and then…

Lesson 8 – How do people find your book?

Wrap Up – Glossary, Links, Loops, and more

About the Presenter:

Award winning author, Kathryn Jane is known for rising to a challenge, whether it’s training for a pilot’s license, facing down cancer, training cantankerous horses or writing that first novel.

Her personal tales of adventure include momentarily misplacing a thoroughbred filly inside a 747 at thirty thousand feet, planning the evacuation of over fifty horses in the path of an approaching wildfire, and being volunteered to represent her peers in a public speaking venue.

In the novels she writes, Kathryn keeps her heroines busy surviving life threatening adventures, or soul searching personal journeys, while they are doggedly determined to not fall in love with men they really don’t need. Think modern-day white knights, and reluctant, self-sufficient damsels.

In spite of ridiculous odds, every story has a happy ending, with both halves of a couple coming to terms with love and all its complications.

Deadline to Register: Oct 5, 2016

FMI: http://www.rwaonlinechapter.org/campus.htm

Or email Patti Fischer at fisc40pa@aol.com

You do not need to be a RWA member to take the class.

RWA® Online conducts all workshops via a message board system located on this website. However, access to the site is restricted by login and password to ensure that the workshop is only available to those that are authorized to attend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm a RWA Online member and would like to take the Self Publishing class starting Oct. 3rd. Is there anything I need to do on my end to be ready for the class? It states the class is free for members, so I don't need to register at all? I'm concerned about figuring out access to the class. I'm still learning how to maneuver through the RWA Online website. Any direction would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Donetta Jensen-Orjuela

Hello,

I'm a RWA Online member and would like to take the Self Publishing class starting Oct. 3rd. Is there anything I need to do on my end to be ready for the class? It states the class is free for members, so I don't need to register at all? I'm concerned about figuring out access to the class. I'm still learning how to maneuver through the RWA Online website. Any direction would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Donetta Jensen-Orjuela

Donetta,

I understand your concerns.

When you logged into our site last night, you should have seen RWA Online Workshops forum at the top. If you didn’t see that, let us know.

Before the workshop starts, Patti Fischer, our VP-Programs, will open the Pre-Workshop Checkin. (It’s just like the one you can see now, except it will be for the October workshop.) If you want a little practice in using the forum, you can introduce yourself—or you can play with some of the discussions in the General Discussion forum.

When Kathryn posts her intro or first lesson, the forum for the workshop will open. At that point, you can click the “follow forum” button in the top right corner, and you’re receive email-notifications when she posts new lessons/threads.

If you’re interested in the discussion about a specific lesson, you can click the “follow topic” button in the top right corner of that topic and receive email-notifications when someone posts in that topic since your last visit. But you won’t receive all the posts—just the first one. To read the new-to-you stuff, just click on the dark blue button beside the title of the topic, and the system will take you to the first unread post since you last opened that thread.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Karen