Patti Fischer

RWA Online's AUG Workshop: Crafting Memorable Dialogue presented by Joni Fisher

Crafting Memorable Dialogue presented by Joni Fisher

Class Begins: August 5, 2019

Class Length: Four weeks

Cost: $15 (free for RWA® Online Chapter members)

Registration opens July 22, 2019

Link to registration: http://rwaonlinechapter.org/

Blurb:

We’ve all slogged through novels with boring, predictable, or chit-chat dialogue. In many genres, dialogue makes up half of the novel, so dialogue can make or break your bond with readers. You can learn how to craft purposeful, quotable dialogue, by discovering and applying techniques used by screenwriters and playwrights. The 4-week Crafting Memorable Dialogue Workshop offers ten practical lessons to apply immediately to your work in progress. At the end of each of the 10 lessons, students apply the lesson to their own work.

The lessons are:

discovering when and when not to use dialogue

infusing the scene with the right level of conflict

employing text and subtext

creating suspense

transforming the predictable

cutting to the chase

individualizing characters through speech markers

applying the stimulus/response pattern for clarity

using three types of tags to show goals motivations and conflict

and formatting and punctuating dialogue properly.

We will select five people who join the workshop to receive a detailed critique from the presenter of the first 5,000-8,000 words of their manuscript. (The five will be selected via a “drawing”)

Presenter Bio:

Joni is the author of South of Justice, the first book in the four-part Compass Crimes Series. She lives in central Florida and North Carolina. When she isn’t writing, she can be found flying, hiking, writing for aviation magazines, reading, or at church. An active member of the Women’s Fiction Writers Association, the Romance Writers of America, and the Florida Writers Association, she is hard at work on her next novel. Website: http://www.jonimfisher.com.

Deadline to register is August 5, 2019

FMI: http://rwaonlinechapter.org/

Or email Patti Fischer at fisc40pa@aol.com

You do not need to be an RWA® member to take the class.

Note: RWA® Online conducts all workshops via a message board system located on this website.  However, access to the site is restricted by login and password to ensure that the workshop is only available to those that are authorized to attend

Hi,

I'm trying to register for the August Workshop and when I follow the link to registration it seems to take me to many different pages but none of them with the actual link to register. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. I appreciate any help with this. Thanks so much! Laurie

On 7/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, Laurie Kassim said:

I'm trying to register for the August Workshop and when I follow the link to registration it seems to take me to many different pages but none of them with the actual link to register. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. I appreciate any help with this. Thanks so much! Laurie

Registration isn't open yet. Will be on July 22nd.

Also, members don't need to register but see my updated post either above in BOLD or in the General Discussion area when I explain it further.